14 May 2015

Conversational Ping Pong

Sorry, guys, I'm afraid that I am not a brilliant conversationalist. In fact, I can find myself at a total loss at times - usually when the chatter progresses like a game of ping pong. Back and forth, back and forth, across the table.

It's not that I have nothing to say. It's just that it's got to be the right thing. However, I usually think of the perfect thing to say ... 10 minutes after the conversation has moved on. And I haven't got a time machine, can't rewind...

However, I've learnt to be happy with it. It's just the way I am.

Put a piece of paper and a pen in front of me - or a computer screen and a keyboard - and I will write for hours. Pages of text. This blog is proof enough of that! However, in a prolonged three-way conversation, I'm usually the one diligently listening. If I haven't already managed to found the door... leaving them to it!

I'm told that I'm not alone. Many introverts struggle with verbal communication. It's because we like time to think before we speak. And sometimes there's so many strands of thought that it can take a while to pin them all down. By the time we've sorted it out in our heads, the moment is lost.

Actually, although I'm rarely that vocal - be warned. The conversation may be on a niche topic that I'm either quite knowledgeable or particularly excited about. And then the whole thing becomes quite a different ball game. I could talk for hours... you may be surprised!

No comments: