3 March 2011

Joy

I got quite a bit out of the Corps Bible Study yesterday evening. The CO led the session on the subject of 'hope', and we explored various passages relating to hope and expectation in scripture over the course of the evening. He mentioned the story of how Horatio Spafford wrote 'It Is Well With My Soul'; although I know the song well, I'd never heard the story before. Read all about it here.

A comment during the evening on 'joy' started me off on yet another train of thought. Is it possible to be joyful, even if you are going through unhappy times? Does that even make sense?

Happiness is a topic that I've touched on before in this blog, but I've never quite understood the difference between happiness and joy. And there is a difference.

Happiness is a temporary condition, based more on circumstance or good fortune than anything. When things are going well, you are happy. Joy on the other hand goes much deeper. It speaks of emotional well-being. Winning something in a competition may make us happy, but joy comes from deep relationships, like those with a loved one, and of course from God.

Joy does not depend on having more money, a new car, new job, or that luxury holiday. It's a state of mind, an attitude to life that wells up from inside you.

Although I haven't quite suffered as much as Horatio Spafford did those many years ago, I can admit that today wasn't by any stretch of the imagination a happy day. But I'm pleased to say that I still have that joy that comes from knowing my Saviour within me.

And that, to complete the link back to last night, gives me hope.

Romans 15:13 (New International Version, ©2011)
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

No comments: