5 February 2009

Snow, Ice And Water


Wrapped up to the extreme, I've put on my boots and stepped out into the snow, finding that my feet are buried up to the ankles. Walking hasn't been easy, and sometimes my normal brisk walking pace has been reduced to a slow crawl as I struggle to go about my daily life. A normal working week is disrupted by what is essentially frozen water!

Having battled my way through snow in the earlier part of the week, I now find myself battling with something far worse. Snow that has melted and refrozen. There's a part of my daily walk to work that is now something akin to a bobsled run. With public transport now back to near normal, I still have to take it easy just getting to the station. There's even talk of the risk of flooding when the thaw really takes hold.

And you know, it's the same with my daily walk with Christ. Certain parts of the path that I tread may be rocky or uneven, or even slippery. Parts that weren't troublesome to you one day may be treacherous the next. You run the risk of falling, or even getting trapped in the gunk or mire by the wayside. You could even get washed away. Many have to change the route they take, however some of us are trying to keep to a particular path. And it's tricky to stay on course - and to stay the course!

Psalm 69:1-2 (NIV)
Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck. I sink in the miry depths, where there is no foothold. I have come into the deep waters; the floods engulf me.

Lord, lift me from the miry clay and put my feet firmly on the rock. Your rock.

No comments: