21 February 2009

And The Award Goes To...


By now, the stars and the paparazzi will be making final arrangements for all of the glitz and glamour of the Oscars this Sunday - but some the best of this weekend's awards will be announced tonight. Yes, it's the Razzies!

I first started following the Razzies about a dozen years ago, when I was hunting for news material for the science fiction newsletter that I used to help edit. Four times a year I submitted twenty or thirty pages of copy related to science fiction and fantasy productions in film and TV. Oscar season gave me little to work with, but the website run by the Golden Raspberry Awards team gave me plenty of material. You see, they give out awards for the worst in the field - worst film, worst actor, etc.

If you have been following my own 90% rule reasoning, you'll realise that there's so much more material to work with! Particularly with some SF 'masterpieces', some of which are often quite awful. The most memorable of the Razzies' awards ceremonies was when Halle Berry won Worst Actress for her portrayal of Catwoman (2004). Bless her, she proudly turned up to personally accept her award.

Further details on this year's awards can be found at
http://www.razzies.com/

No comments: