25 February 2009

Self-Praise Is No Recommendation - part one


When writing your CV or resume you are often instructed to present yourself in the best light possible. Some folk, I am told, actually lie when it comes to their CV, inventing aspects of their past in order to better secure that elusive job. And the right job seems most elusive at times.

Perhaps I am a little different when reviewing my working life, but in the back of my mind I always seem to hear the words 'Self Praise Is No Recommendation'. It was something told to me by a good friend years ago, and I think they are sound words indeed. When I am preparing my CV I find myself cutting things out all of the time, rather than inventing things to go in! That's because the ideal CV is, I am told, no longer than two sides of A4 paper. Any shorter and they think you haven't tried. Any longer and they won't read it at all. I'm also told that an average job vacancy will produce 100 enquiries, so that's a pile of 100 or so CVs for someone to read through!
If I think of the many different things I have been involved with in my working life, I can easily fill four or five sides! But what to cut...

As part of the DFL experience (see earlier blogs) my wife and I have had to take a look back at our lives, in order to better see a way forward. Which is kind of like preparing a CV of your life - only everything stays in, because everything may be relevant. In looking back through the tough times (the bits you wouldn't necessarily put in your CV) you may more easily see God's supporting hand. And we are assured by scripture:

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28 (NIV)

More later.

No comments: