25 August 2022

Z is for ZZZ on time

Key to a good mental attitude is a regular sleep pattern. It's something that I haven't always followed, to my detriment. Ten years of being a Street Pastor (however much I enjoyed it) really upset my body clock for a few days afterwards! 

Right now I like to prepare for sleep with a set routine:

  • I like to start and quieten down during the early evening. I really don't appreciate events that go on and on without a set end time!
  • I try to go to bed at the same time every night (I am an early bird, so I like to be in bed between 9 and 10pm)
  • I will turn off my mobile phone each night (so I don't get disturbed by notifications or even phone calls in the middle of the night. And yes, it used to regularly happen!)
  • I will leave a cold drink by my bed to sip if I wake up in the night. That gets me back to sleep quickly.
  • I try to get up at the same time every morning (see above - I'm usually up and about between 5 and 6am). 
  • I don't use an alarm clock - I find that this sleep pattern means I don't need one. If I need to be somewhere important I will set a reminder on my phone however 99% of the time I'm already up and waiting for it to go off!
  • I used to wake up to a talk radio station but the comments by the radio presenter used to get me in such a foul mood that it was quickly removed from my routine. One less thing to carry if I go away!
  • When I wake up, I like a cup of coffee or two a good couple of hours before breakfast.

This seems to work for me. What works for you?

No comments: