17 January 2009

I Get Knocked Down...


"I get knocked down
But I get up again
You're never going to keep me down."
Tubthumping by Chumbawamba


I've had a curious week this week, as I've been under instructions from my doctor to take it easy, and unable to rush around as much as I'm used to. I've been dependent on painkillers to make me comfortable, hugging a hot water bottle to my injured side like a child hugs a favourite teddy. My sleep pattern has been broken, and I find I haven't been able to sleep in my usual position, which is strangely alarming. And I've had bucket-loads of time on my hands - ideal, as Chris and I are set to attend a Salvation Army conference next weekend. It's been a time of healing, both physically and mentally, and I've prayed and read a lot this week.

Today is Saturday, and I'm starting to gear myself up to normality, getting ready for go back into harness next week. However, things are strangely different in my mind, and I am encouraged that things need to be different if I seek to move forward in my Christian walk. God's timing is, as ever, perfect. Romans 8:28 informs me that "all things are working together for good" if we love the Lord. Is my stumble on the path therefore something that God has used this week?


2 Corinthians 4:8-10 (New Living Translation)
We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed. Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies.

No comments: