13 October 2008

Up Above The Streets And Houses...



The references to 'rainbow' in my recent blog on 'True Colours' brings up a familiar and recurring theme, more so perhaps for my good friend Don than me. An exploration of rainbows would not be complete without a reference to Geoffrey, Zippy and Bungle in the popular kids show, so hence my title to this entry. However, rainbows feature far widely culturally, inspiring man across the years.
You could include references to Bifröst, which in Norse mythology is the rainbow bridge leading from Midgard, the realm of mortals, to Asgard, the realm of the gods, which the gods travel daily.

We've mentioned Cyndi Lauper's earlier hit, but of course there are other musical references:

Look, look, look to the rainbow,
Follow it over the hill and stream
Look, look, look to the rainbow, Follow the fellow who follows the dream.
"Look to the Rainbow" by E. Y. Harburg (Yip Harburg) and Burton Lane from the musical play (and motion picture) Finian's Rainbow

Some day I'll wish upon a star And wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemondrops Away above the chimney tops, That's where you'll find me.
Somewhere over the rainbow Bluebirds fly. Birds fly over the rainbow, Why then, oh why can't I?
"Somewhere Over the Rainbow", lyrics by Yip Harburg, music by Harold Arlen, from The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Some further quotations:

And when it rains on your parade, look up rather than down. Without the rain, there would be no rainbow - Gilbert K. Chesterton

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow you gotta be willing to put up with the rain - Dolly Parton

My heart leaps up when I behold A rainbow in the sky! - William Wordsworth

More on rainbows later this week...

No comments: