24 September 2018

Going Slower, But Still Going

It's Monday morning as I start drafting this. The car has just been dropped off for a full service, and I'm chilling out with a latte.

I'm currently in Sidcup, somewhere I used to work in the 1990s. It was a time when the new digital revolution promised society increased productivity, and a better work-life balance.

And we all know that’s not how history has played out. In fact, in the decade after  I worked here I changed jobs a half a dozen times... not always by choice!

I am pleased to relax and just live in the moment today. Just to have a couple of things in the to-do list. And not to get stressed by the huge list of things I should have done, or should be doing...

I'm taking time to savour the coffee, to enjoy the surroundings of the coffee house with the comfy leather chairs. I've two books in my bag to dip into when I need to get on the train this afternoon  (I have a check up at the hospital for my eye)...

I tried to slow things down yesterday too. After church I deliberately sat for fifteen minutes and relaxed. Took some quality time for myself. I still had time to take in the video stream of a large Salvation Army meeting and did well practicing on my guitar (more on this soon!) ... but still took time for me!

I know that I overthink; that I have an overactive mind. Consequently, just telling myself that certain things need to stay in the moment isn't enough. I need to live it out. Easily sidetracked by jobs to be done, I can easily miss out on the opportunity to connect with myself. And with God.

Why do I feel so guilty when I include even a half an hour of unplanned time in my calendar?

Parkinson’s Law says : “Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.”

Matthew 6:31-34 (ESV)
Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

No comments: