28 May 2012

People Watching

"I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
It´s a very very
Mad world"
(lyrics written by Roland Orzabal)


Do you ever just stand and watch how people behave? I do when I get the chance - and I've had some good opportunities recently. I've seen how people talk to one another; how they interact. And I've learnt so much just through 'people watching'. I've met:

  • Men and women who wander aimlessly through life, literally walking in circles.
  • Men and women who briskly walk purposefully through life, striding towards their goals.
  • Colleagues who really care about others, going out of their way to help where they can, helping, checking to see if they're OK
  • Others who only do what they are bound to do and not one jot more; they couldn't care less.
  • There's those who are so attentive to the 'great and the good' that they seem to ignore the 'little people', wanting their picture taken with the stars to show their friends on Facebook.
  • And then there are these so-called 'little people', those who often take pains to stay out of the limelight, preferring to do what they can quietly and without others knowing too much.
  • Acquaintances who take time to seek you out , to go the extra mile to help you, to encourage you.
  • And so-called 'friends' who smile at you and then talk about you behind your back. 
Just in the process of working out my feelings on this subject. However, there's plenty of examples out there...

No comments: