20 May 2012

Don't Be Afraid...

I understand that almost every book in the Bible has a "fear not" of some description within it. Some people actually state that there are at least 365 instances of "fear not", "do not be afraid", "don't worry" and so on - one for every day of the year! Don't know whether that's true or not, and I certainly haven't counted them, but it's certainly given me some food for thought today...

I am very aware that many people experience a problem with fear. It's an area that I don't find easy in my own life. I might have to face up to the fear of what people might think, might say. There's also fear of the unknown. Sometimes, even fear of the known!

However, God would have us to have faith in Him. I've heard many times that His perfect love drives out all fear (1 John 4:18). And so, tonight, as I start facing up to my own fears, I find myself turning to the Psalms for inspiration:

Psalm 56:3-4 (NIV)
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise — in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me? 

What fears will be trying to take hold of me next week? What threats or troubles will I be facing? There's already quite a full agenda ahead of me; it's very daunting. My aim is to face it head on, and to start praying the same prayer as David.

When I am afraid of _________, I will trust in you, O Lord.

:)




No comments: