18 February 2012

Failure Is Not An Option

I'm a particular fan of the Ron Howard movie 'Apollo 13', based of course on the true story of NASA's efforts to return three astronauts back to Earth following an accident that had crippled their ship.

I now know that Gene Kranz (pictured above) never actually coined the phrase "failure is not an option" which is mentioned in the movie. The line was written in - however, Kranz so liked the line that he used it as the title of his autobiography (published in 2000).

I like it too. However, I've been wondering whether living your life by strict adherence to this adage is actually possible.

Interestingly, a reluctance to accept the possibility of failure is pretty much common to all my favourite SF genre shows:

"Do or do not... there is no try." - Yoda (Star Wars)

"I don't believe in the no-win scenario." - Kirk (Star Trek II- The Wrath Of Khan)

Is this view reflected in our modern lives? I've come across many bosses in my time who motivate others by simply not allow for failure in their planning. Are our standards too high? Do we ever permit ourselves the possibility of failure? Surely the easiest way not to fail is not to try? And what's wrong with 'try' anyway? You may gather that I've spent some time mulling over the subject this week.

You hear it so often, don't you, "I’ll try". Are they really going to give it a go, or does try actually mean "I'll do what you've told me to do, but don’t blame me if it doesn't work". When we make our wedding vows, do we say "I’ll try" or "I do"?

Can you ever imagine the Apollo missions with only an "try" attitude. It just wouldn't have succeeded. The difference between try and do? Commitment. If you do, failure is not an option. If you simply try, failure is a convenient alternative.

Sure, everybody louses it up from time to time. But it only becomes a failure when you give up. Listen to these words from scripture:

Proverbs 24:16 (CEV)
"Even if good people fall seven times, they will get back up. But when trouble strikes the wicked, that's the end of them."

God knows we're going to fall down every once in a while. Yet, He also stands by us and helps us get back on our feet.

I know I personally find it tough to accept when I've loused up. I'd rather hang on to Gene Kranz's point of view; not to include it in my options! Letting others down makes me depressed. However, God helps me here to work through my anger and disappointment. Usually disappointment in my own inactions! He wants us to pick ourselves up; to acknowledge our shortcomings and work to better ourselves.

So, it's only failure when you don't get up again. And that's not an option I'm open to.

No comments: