20 February 2012

Ditching That Bad Habit!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."- Aristotle (384-322 BC)

It is so easy for any of us to slip into a habit. Regular repetition of actions become habits, which, inevitably begin to shape our future. For example, the habitual gambler is therefore more likely to lose his house than the average man.

I'm reliably informed that the breaking a bad habit usually three weeks of dedicated effort. In difficult cases, it can take as long as a year! But it might take forever unless you commit yourself to change...

Many people try to conquer a bad habit or to start a good one at a particular time of year. The key to success? Commitment!

The habit I'm trying to ditch isn't a physical one, it's a particular mind-set - one that has been established for years. I'd overcome it for a while, but put me in the wrong situation and I'm back there again. I've seen a degree of success in this area this year, so now's the time to hit it head on and kill it off for good. I think Lent is the right time for me, for so many reasons. I am assured any bad habit can be eradicated if you commit yourself to the change.

I'll be looking at a few steps tomorrow which you could consider if you want to join me for these forty days of Lent. Prayer support would also be good!

No comments: