1 March 2010

Are We There Yet?

These famous words are familiar to anybody who has ever taken their children on a long car journey. The journey may often be long and wearisome, particularly to the driver who is constantly subjected to cries of 'are we there yet' by the bored youngsters in the back...

Folks who know me well will realise that I have been making a few inroads into aspects of my life which are in need of improvement. It seems to be a very long journey. Last year it seemed as though I was stuck at traffic lights. A year on, and at last I seem to be making some progress! The problem is, I admit that I get weary of the constant travelling - I always seem to be moving towards what I need, and never seem to get there. I often ask of God 'surely I must be nearly there by now?'

I was fortunate enough to lead the meeting at the Corps yesterday, and spoke on Matthew 11:29-30, which in The Message says:

"Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

I'm pleased to say I am regularly walking with God - and today He's telling me it's about time I started enjoying the journey, rather than keep asking 'are we there yet'?

No comments: