4 March 2010

Let Me Help

As a Christian, I am encouraged to put out an hand of friendship to others, to try and help them whenever and wherever I can. Why is it, then, that when you try to help some people, the offer of assistance is often rejected or dismissed? When does a genuine willingness to help someone become interference in somebody else's life? Comments are directed back to you saying 'it's not your concern, leave me alone.' I suspect that the answer lies in the area of Respect, that is acknowledging other people's opinions or views may be different from your own.

Here's some quotes about Helping Others, as I ponder this further.

"Never underestimate what a simple gesture can do. It is the little things that you do that make a big difference in other people's lives." - Catherine Pulsifer

“Do something for somebody every day for which you do not get paid.” - Albert Schweitzer

"Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible." - Charles Dickens

"The more I help others to succeed, the more I succeed." - Ray Kroc

"Life's most urgent question is: What are you doing for others?" - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Ephesians 5:1-2 (New International Version)
Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Acts 20:35 (New International Version)
In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' "

No comments: