30 January 2012

Yoked Fellowship

Yesterday's meeting at the Corps explored the concept of being 'yoked'. It's referred to by Jesus in Matthew's gospel:

Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

A yoke is a wooden beam, used to join a pair of oxen to enable them to pull together: this was in common use by farmers around the time of Jesus. I had heard the passage of scripture before, and understand some of the concept about learning from Him by being yoked to Him. However, there was teaching yesterday about us being a 'yoked fellowship' which I must admit to finding difficult, hence unpacking it here.

Being in fellowship together implies that we need to live together, to work together. Paul also uses this example in his letters, telling us not to be yoked together with unbelievers. Understandable, then, because as a team we need to pull together and to pull the same way in order to get things done. The verses are talking about teamwork!

The reference to 'rest' in the above passage may confuse some, as at first glance there isn't anything remotely restful about a yoke. However, it is the sharing of the load that makes the work easier, of far greater efficiency. This lightens the burden; ensures the task is completed more effectively. So, in theory, with all of us in fellowship with Him and with each other, we can all pull together, accomplishing much more than we could as individuals

Reading around the subject took me to Paul's letter to the Philippians, where I then discovered the word 'yokefellow'... which led me deeper into the concept. More later...

No comments: