11 July 2010

For Better Or For Worse

Over the last eight or nine days I have experienced a number of different aspects of the life of a Christian, each one rapidly one after the other. The way these events have impacted upon me has been profound, crashing into me like waves breaking across the rocks on the coast. They have left me breathless and quite emotional. What a rush! The words that come to mind when I try to put this down in some semblance of order for this blog are simply the traditional words we use in our marriage vows. They are probably fresh in my mind as Chris and I have just completed 18 years of married life together, our anniversary being at the very start of my startling 'rush' . I am pleased to have her working alongside me. Let's just think of each of the phrases from the vows:

for better - the opportunities that God has opened up to me this week! Wow! There have been two separate offers to explore new avenues of Christian service. There have been examples of serendipity which I can only explain in spiritual terms. There have been times of celebration; times of victory; times of real joy in working for Him. Yesterday I was privileged to attend Commissioning again, watching Graeme and Zoe Smith (soon to become our new COs) take their ranks as Lieutenants in The Salvation Army.
for worse - there have also been lows. Plans that haven't worked out the way I would have hoped; news that was full of half-truths and misinformation; painful good-byes; disappointments where friends or colleagues let you down; times when I've had to give in to compromise and now live to regret it.
for richer - there have been examples of such generosity, where people have been so kind to me and to my family. And there's been such riches that I have discovered in my quiet times this week, promises that I am holding tightly to for the future (Jeremiah 29:11!)
for poorer - there have been issues where we've had to tighten the belt even further this week, struggling to deal with rising bills and unexpected expenses. One bill has risen by 100% this month!
in sickness - there have been times of incapacity with relations recovering from surgery; unusual rashes; lumps and bumps (probably due to my own inability to move quickly enough), and even one day when even I took a day off sick from work (and those who know me well can tell you - that is such a rarity!). 
in health - thankfully there's been times this week where I have found the strength to not only give of my usual commitment, but to 'go the extra mile' and draw on extra resources that keep you serving both by day and by night.

It's been very tiring; very emotional; often very hot! Today saw the departure of Andrew and Tracey Bale as our Corps Officers. Mixed emotions, joy and sadness.. The old order changeth - but God never changeth!

As I consider the Christian path that I walk - a very narrow path - am I content to continue on this way, with the joy and the sadness "until death do you part?" Am I prepared to continue along this path that I've chosen right the way to the very end, till I reach the end of my days?. Oh yes.

Matthew 7:13-14 (New International Version)
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

2 comments:

Crimson said...

I've enjoyed reading down through your posts. you have a wonderful written expression...

And it's reassuring to know - God enables us to deal with our hurt.

God bless.
"Crimson"

Andrew Bale said...

Colin you ask "am I content to continue on this way, with the joy and the sadness "until death do you part?"" I think you should pray into that word 'content' and then blog the outcome.

You are, as always, in our prayers. A