8 June 2009

Tired!

tired:
- needing rest: in need of rest or sleep, or weakened and made less active by exertion
- no longer interested: having lost patience or interest
- overused: no longer new or fresh because of overuse

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Dr Samuel Johnson

(There's another phrase that came to mind when I was jotting down some random thoughts about being tired. That's the phrase 'tired and emotional' - which is a British euphemism for being drunk, chiefly used by the satirical magazine 'Private Eye' since 1967. The phrase is probably the best way that I can describe myself this week. However, I hasten to assure you, dear reader, that does not mean I'm drunk. I just think my batteries need recharging!)

Isaiah 40: 29-31 (New International Version)
29 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

No comments: