2 August 2019

C is for Carry On Wayward Son

Carry On Wayward Son was written by Kansas guitarist Kerry Livgren in 1976. According to the songwriter, the song was not written at the time to express anything specifically religious, though it's clearly expresses the concept of spiritual searching.

“It’s an autobiographical song,” Livgren explained in an interview. “Parallel to my musical career I’ve always been on a spiritual sojourn, looking for truth and meaning. It was a song of self-encouragement. I was telling myself to keep on looking and I would find what I sought.”

The searching was certainly successful for Livgren, who became a Christian in 1980.

The song is currently best known as the unofficial theme song of the TV series Supernatural. It is played during the recap before every season finale (with the exception of the first season, where it was played during the recap of the penultimate episode).

No comments: