3 March 2018

Be Still

Who exactly is in control of my life? I often wonder...
  • Sometimes I feel that I am careering through life in the fast lane of a motorway in a clapped-out old car, with me reluctantly in the driver's seat - frantically pumping the foot-brake to slow things down, while looking for the signs for the next junction so I can finally escape from this fast pace set by the other road users...
  • And then, sometimes, things actually do work out, and I'm happy, patting myself on the back for managing to steer my way through yet another storm... and yet, I wonder 'what did I do right'...
  • And then, there are those times when things do work out, and I simply haven't got a clue how I managed to survive that one - that one has to be God's, I couldn't have done that on my own. Clearly God has to be in control...
I am writing this post whilst sitting on the sofa, the family have all gone out, so the house is actually quiet. The winter storm that was kicking off outside for the last two days is finally spent, and the snow is starting to subside. All is calm, and still. I have chance to think.

And I'm pondering on Psalm 46:10. And admitting a couple of things

I don't want to be "out-of-control", however I recognise that some situations will be outside my ability to influence. The problem is - I know I can't control it, and I don't want to give up! That's probably why I'm feeling so much stress. Feeling a bit sorry for myself. Is that right?

Am I trying to control things that only God can control?

Psalm 46:10 (New American Standard Bible)
Cease striving and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”


No comments: