8 March 2018

Self-harm For A Biscuit

I went to give blood tonight.  Self-harm for a biscuit, as my son calls it.

Just another small gesture to try and help someone else. Something that I have done over the years in an attempt to make a difference in this world. To do a bit of good. To save someone's life. I counted up, it was my 66th donation tonight.

I'm glad I went. The nurse was telling me how low blood stocks were following the bad weather we experienced last week. They had cancelled so many donation sessions last week. She thanked me perfusely for taking the trouble to come out...

But how much had this helped? All those donations, all those biscuits...

It's not easy to find out what difference all those multiple "small gestures" has made to this world, as I haven't a clue how my blood may have been used. A serious operation may use multiple donations to keep one patient alive...

In addition, blood is usually separated into its individual components or parts, so a patient can be given the particular component they need. Thus, the components in one unit of blood (or one donation) can be used to treat different patients.

So I can't tell. However, I can speculate. Even if I was going to take a conservative estimate, and say that one life was saved for every two of my donations... (and that's a number I read somewhere or other)...

That's 33 lives saved.

Wow.

No comments: