16 February 2016

Belonging

I know quite a few fellow Christians in my town who are currently 'between churches'.

That can't be easy. In fact, I'm quite upset with even the thought of this. You see, I personally need the sense of belonging that you get from a church group.

Scripture underlines this for me when it says that his followers are “fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household” (Ephesians 2:19b, NIV).

The local fellowship of believers gives me a sense of identity, several avenues of commitment,  as well as a means of accountability. 

Take away the local church and its network (for whatever reason), and my ability to work out my own christian walk is so much harder. Not impossible, but it's much harder.

Put my life back into the context of a church family - different backgrounds, different races,  different social statuses - and then I can start learning from others, befriending others, encouraging others. As well as making the fellowship stronger, this can then be a powerful witness to the world.

Let's turn to scripture for the last word. Hebrews 10:25 warns us against “not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing”.

You know I am praying for those Christian friends who are spiritually 'homeless' tonight.

No comments: