28 September 2014

Ask The Right Questions

Vastra: Who or what could have done this thing?
Doctor: No.
Vastra: I'm sorry?
Doctor: No. That is not the question. That is not where we start.
Strax: The question is how. The flesh itself has been combusted.
Doctor: No, no, shut up. What do you all have for brains, pudding? Look at you. Why can't I meet a decent species? Planet of the pudding brains.
Clara: Doctor, I know you're upset, but you need to calm down and talk to us. What is the question?
(dialogue from 'Deep Breath' - Doctor Who)

The Doctor has a point here, you know. We humans are crashingly bad at asking the right questions. We seem to excel in excuses; to delight in dismissing opinions contrary to our own. We're good at some questions but we aren't very good at the tricky subjects. We don't like being out of our depth.

However, the best way to learn is to test what we hear - we need to keep on asking questions...

Just think for a moment would could happen if we actually started to ask the right questions for a change? To dig deep. To ask those difficult questions. To check those facts. To read around the subject. To test the answers that we get back. To write those answers down; then ask more questions. And repeat...

Those words were made very clear to me during this morning's prayer meeting at the Hall.

I will get the answers I seek if I keep on asking the right questions.

Awesome.

Psalm 119:18 (NIV)
Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin,

A very intersting blog.

I've been musing to myself that I must be asking the WRONG questions which leaves me (!) with another: WHAT ARE THE RIGHT QUESTIONS?

Intrigue upon intrigue.

Regards,

The Artful Dodger.