25 March 2014

Am I Too Nice?

My name is Colin and apparently I have a problem. I am 'too nice'. Or so I was told last week.

Sure, I do things differently.

I try and be polite, when others that I know seem to strive to be downright rude and obnoxious...

I try and be helpful, when others clearly don't care a fig and genuinely prefer to knock people - and even kick them while they're down ...

I try and be punctual, when others seem to consider appointment times as merely a suggestion...

I try and be respectful of other's views, unlike others who are absurdly judgemental and outrageously close-minded...

So, is that wrong? Have I got it that wrong?

I read something online this week that said the key point here was having self-respect. It was having a clear sense of who you are and what you want out of life...

And, as a Christian, I am challenged to follow Jesus - to try and be like more and more like Jesus...

OK, then. Perhaps I need to take as my role model the person who made a whip, driving out the moneychangers from the temple, turning over their sales tables.

The person who threw insults at the religious leaders of the time: “white-washed tombs”; “hypocrites”; “snakes.”

The person who frequently challenged conventional ways of thinking...

The person who went out of his way to befriend the friendless; to love the unloved. Revolutionary love!

The person who wasn't scared of showing his emotions, openly weeping at times.

The person who boldly proclaimed the truth, even if it offended those who heard it.

The person who taught with so much controversy that some threatened to stone him. They eventually found a way to have him crucified.

And even death itself could not contain Him.

What if I followed this right to the letter... I doubt if they would be calling me 'nice' for much longer... more for me to think about!!

Note: I am also reminded that the 'others' that I mentioned in the first part of this blog post are perhaps the very people Jesus is calling me to help... (sigh)

2 comments:

Colin Machan said...

Just read the following. More food for thought....

http://www.ronedmondson.com/2014/03/12-ways-to-be-less-mean-online.html

Anonymous said...

My Dear Colin,

You are a great guy who knaws away at himself.

There are times when it is right to be positively assertive. Remember your driving lessons? That's what I talking about.

Regards,

The Artful Dodger