18 March 2012

Defeating Discouragement

Nehemiah 4:10 (NIV)
Meanwhile, the people in Judah said, "The strength of the labourers is giving out, and there is so much rubble that we cannot rebuild the wall."

I felt so lousy - but couldn't put my finger on exactly why. I just felt so down when I walked through the door on that winter evening. Sure, perhaps it was just the weather; that may be part of the reason. However, the day had otherwise been a good one, everything had gone well. So why did I feel so low that night?

I decided to fight back, not to give in to it as I may have done previously. Reaching out to my Lord in prayer, I looked with Him for ways to turn this feeling around, to turn this negative into a positive. This discouragement would not defeat me today! If anything else, perhaps it could become a blog entry...

I took some pointers from a study on Nehemiah 4:10 as I tried to understand some of the reasons I felt so grotty...

Like the workers in the verse, I'd worked pretty hard over the last day or two, so doubtless part of it was possibly that I really needed a break, to "recharge the batteries".

And then I considered the rubble, getting in the way. Was there rubble in my life that needed clearing out? Before the work on the new could continue, the remains of the old needed to be cleared away.

I picked myself up, started sifting through the pieces of the day as I rested. Pretty soon I felt so much better. Ready to start again tomorrow.

Joshua 1:9 (NIV)
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”

No comments: