26 September 2011

Is that right?

Do people constantly tell you things, or email you things, that don't seem to make sense? Odd pieces of information, scraps of wisdom, Facebook posts, rumour, hearsay.

My usual reaction to this is a simple, "Is that right?"

Because, sometimes, it's not true at all.

The trouble is - I'm not sure what it is that I'm most troubled about. The fact that a friend has told me something, as if it were true, that isn't. The fact that they haven't checked their information before repeating it. Or the fact that some people think I'm gullible enough to accept everything that I'm told without checking this out first.

I find snopes.com is a good place to start for dealing with internet rumours, circulars that tell you that Facebook will be charging for their services, that kind of thing. Worth bookmarking!

The rest? I keep an open mind about, until I can prove this one way or another.

No comments: