2 December 2010

A White Stone With A New Name

Revelation 2:17 (New International Version)
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it.

I've been pondering this verse for a while, particularly to the reference to a 'white stone', which seems to speak so much to me on various levels. Like so many verses in Revelation, it's left open for each of us to unpack this and to understand.  What could that reference to a 'white stone' possibly mean? I've read many interpretations in books and online.

This could be...
  • ...an admission ticket to public festivals in ancient times...
  • ...a pebble of acquittal used in Greek courts...
  • ...a pebble used in elections in ancient Greece...
  • ...a stone used in the high-priest's breastplate...
...and what about the reference to the new name being written upon it?  There's been several references in various places to the importance of 'names' in Scripture, and I had even made mention of this myself in recent days when I led a Sunday meeting at the Corps - I was preaching on Daniel chapter 1 and there was a reference to the importance of names yet again!

But what is this 'new name' that we are promised here? There's other references to this in Isaiah 62:2 and Isaiah 65:15. When something is made new, it gives us a brand new start, new opportunities, new possibilities. 'I am a new creation'...

At this time of year, I am eager to accept the offer of a new start for a New Year - that seems  to me to be most attractive. If that means the acceptance of a new name - or a new title - then I'm up for it.

No comments: