28 June 2010

Lighten Up!

Something quite unusual (and wonderful) has happened to me this weekend. I think that an important piece of the jigsaw began to fall into place, and things are suddenly a lot clearer to me today than they ever were on Friday morning.

This has of course been a stressful weekend for many, with the England match on the horizon and all the passions coming to the surface as a result. Now I'm not a football fan by any stretch of the imagination, but like to support my country, cheer on our team. However, I'm quite aware that it's only a game when it's all said and done...

However, I came to the conclusion this weekend that the whole of life is sometimes just a game. And you know what that means...

Some people like to win, and don't like it when you don't play by their rules. Sometimes you are not advised of the rules before you start, or they seem to change as time goes on. Sometimes the rules are all too clear but you don't feel that you can ever measure up to them. Some times you are so concerned about the rules that all the fun of actually playing the game goes out of the window!

Add to that mix a whole host of frustration concerning malfunctioning computers (and that were the ones at home, not the work ones!) and a particularly challenging sermon on Sunday by the CO (Andrew's last before he moves appointment) and suddenly it all starts to add up. It took me a while, a few tears and a good deal of prayer, but I've got there. I think the phrase that nicely fits my current frame of mind is this one (a quote which I found on the 'net on Sunday night):

"Life, like all other games, becomes fun when one realises that it's just a game" - Nerijus Stasiulis

I have decided, therefore, to lighten up a bit. A conscious decision to loosen up. Which could prove interesting to some of my friends and colleagues. Going to have some fun this week!

No comments: