4 September 2009

You can't handle the truth!

Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I think I'm entitled to them.
Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Jessep: You can't handle the truth!
quotes from "A Few Good Men", written by Aaron Sorkin

Bart: We want the truth.
Sideshow Bob: You want the truth? You can't handle the truth. No truth-handler, you. I deride your truth-handling abilities.
quotes from "The Simpsons"

In my blogs and on my Facebook account I describe myself as a 'seeker after truth' - and so I am. I strive to consider other people's points of view, because it may give me new insight into my own understanding into a particular issue. Sometimes I still don't get it - but I still try. The big question is - once I have found the truth, and realise that it is fundamentally different to what I have understood in the past - can I handle it? Can I act upon this 'truth' to correct past mistakes?

Here's some more quotations on Truth:

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four; calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." - Abraham Lincoln

"Whenever you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (creator of Sherlock Holmes)

"Falsehood is easy, truth so difficult" - George Eliot

"When people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together" - Isaac Asimov

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes" - Mark Twain

"Always tell the truth. That way, you don't have to remember what you said" - Mark Twain

No comments: