19 September 2009

Selfish or selfless?


I'm currently at a point in my Christian walk where I have to face up to a particular issue in my life of service. The problem is a challenging one, summed up by the question at the top of this blog entry. Am I selfish or selfless as a person? I think I know the answer to that question, but is that where I should be right now?

Christians who look to embrace ministry or other forms of service would probably consider themselves as selfless individuals. Self-sacrifice doesn't seem to be a problem for them. But is total self-sacrifice actually the ideal or the goal for the Christian? Is there not time enough for 'me' in the scheme of things?

One particular blog I read this week even concluded that pursuing such service to the detriment of your friends and family was in fact a selfish act, indulging one's own personal dream of service while friends and family suffered from lack of attention. Is such a lifestyle merely an attempt to gain thanks and recognition, merely a chance to ego-boost?

Some thoughts from scripture (all quotes from the NIV):

Luke 9:23
Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

Philippians 2:3
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

1 Corinthians 13:3
If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Mark 12:28-31
28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"
29" The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.
30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'
31 The second is this: 'Love your neighbour as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

Comments are welcomed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting topic and one for much discussion.

Every blessing
Lisa