31 August 2026

Is Jesus 'Nice'?

“Aslan is a lion- the Lion, the great Lion." 
"Ooh" said Susan. "I'd thought he was a man. Is he - quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion"...
"Safe?" said Mr Beaver ..."Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.”

C.S. Lewis, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

So, if we are to be like Jesus, we are to be good. However, does that mean we need to be nice?

So, purely from the biblical records that we have, was Jesus nice

The word nice is not to be found in the Bible. While both nice and good are positive words, nice focuses on being outwardly (and superficially) pleasant and polite, whereas good runs much deeper, pointing to moral character, real care for people, and inner integrity. 

We know from scripture that Jesus was loving, compassionate, and kind. However, modern definitions of niceness - avoiding conflict, being inoffensive, having a polite demeanour - do not fit with what we know of Jesus. 

Not sure? Why not re-read the Gospel accounts of Jesus with this in mind?

No comments: