16 October 2024

Suddenly ....

I don't like 'suddenly'. 

Let's unpack that a bit to give you some context.

When asked to describe myself for a recent church event I included the phrase "I don’t like things to be too busy, too noisy, or too chaotic". 

This week has been all of those things. In the last seven days I have had the following:

  • A quiet morning in the office, with only a couple of issues - followed by seven separate problems to solve, all arriving within a fifteen minute period. Just like buses, they all came at once! Do these guys save these problems up, and co-ordinate sending them to me just to annoy? (yes, I did work through them all - it took a couple of hours)
  • Then I got some news that a work colleague had suddenly retired. The first I had heard of it was an out-of-office notification sent to someone else that had been forwarded to me. So much for our close working relationship! Guess we weren't that close after all - except when he wanted a favour...
  • A meeting I had been planning for three weeks had to be moved into a completely different room and IT setup with less than half a day's notice. No, it didn't go as well as I'd planned. Of course...
  • Traffic in the local area is currently appallingly bad. Road closures, road works appearing with no prior notice. Where did those temporary traffic lights come from - they weren't there this morning! No, really, you have to leave yourself an extra half an hour just to get across town! 
  • There are other examples, however that gives you an idea of how infuriating things can be this week. All one after another. And all just as sudden. And then - suddenly - it's all back to what it was before. Was it a bad dream? 
When talking to someone about how I felt, he said that I shouldn't be so sensitive

Which is a pity. Because that's who God made me. 

See link here .

No comments: