21 January 2018

The Favour of God

I've been reading a lot over the past two days about 'finding favour' with the Lord.

So, what does that phrase mean? Well, if you favour someone in this world, you start giving them preferential treatment, showing them more kindness that to others. Essentially, they become your favourite.

However, through the many years I've been attending church, I was always told that God never plays favourites. He loves us all equally... (see Romans 2:11)

And yet, some people seem to be entrusted with special tasks. And it is interesting to read how these tasks are described... listen to the way that the angel Gabriel greeted Mary, the future mother of Jesus:

The angel went to her and said, ‘Greetings, you who are highly favoured! The Lord is with you.’
Luke 1:28 (NIVUK)

Highly favoured. And in fact given a phenomenal responsibility - to be the mother of the Son of God! And why? Because she knew God, and trusted Him. However, Mary and Joseph weren't blessed with 'creature comforts'. Joseph continued to worked as a carpenter to earn the family’s daily bread. The trip to Bethlehem during Mary’s pregnancy wouldn't have been easy - and in fact this could have been quite dangerous. And yet, she still enjoyed the favour of God like few in history had.

Here's just a few more quotes to ponder on:

This is what the Lord says:
‘Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool.
Where is the house you will build for me? Where will my resting-place be?
Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?’
declares the Lord
‘These are the ones I look on with favour: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word.
Isaiah 66: 1-2 (NIVUK)

Blessed are those who listen to me, watching daily at my doors,
    waiting at my doorway.
For those who find me find life and receive favour from the Lord.
Proverbs 8:34-35 (NIVUK)

No comments: