31 July 2014

A is for Ascribe Greatness To Our God, The Rock

Written and composed by Don Moen, this song has a particular significance to me; it was used at a tent mission that I was invited to attend by a work colleague back in the early 1980s. The words still stick with me. I can see that this occasion was the first step of a spiritual journey that eventually led me to making a commitment to Christ in 1988. The lyrics of the song are inspired straight from this piece of scripture:

Deuteronomy 32:1-4 (ESV)
"Give ear, O heavens, and I will speak, and let the earth hear the words of my mouth.
May my teaching drop as the rain, my speech distill as the dew, like gentle rain upon the tender grass, and like showers upon the herb.
For I will proclaim the name of the Lord; ascribe greatness to our God! The Rock, his work is perfect, for all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and upright is he."


No comments: