29 April 2013

Problems and Opportunities

It was a particularly wet and miserable morning - and I couldn't just turn over and go back to sleep. I had to get up to go to work. I hadn't slept well the night before - too many things on my mind - and I was in pain with an annoying ailment so as a result I was feeling particularly low. There seemed to be nothing but an endless string of problems ahead of me...

In fact, I started seeing these problems in a tangible way - if you excuse the literary reference, it was just like the heads of the Hydra - cut off one, and two more would take its place.

Inspired by the way my mind was working this out, I sought suitable inspiration to combat this online - as I sat on the train to work I googled a quotation or two. And then I read this:

"Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognised a problem and turned it into an opportunity."
(Joseph Sugarman)

You know, I find it hard sometimes to see the opportunity behind the problem. Sometimes I can't seem to see the wood for the trees! However, I've been trying hard this week to actively spot the opportunity in each problem I encounter.

"Tho’ we are weak, His grace is everything we need;
We’re made of clay but this treasure is within.
He turns our weaknesses into His opportunities,
So that the glory goes to Him….."

(lyrics from 'Rejoice, Rejoice' by Graham Kendrick)



No comments: