15 June 2011

Deep Calls Unto Deep

Psalm 42:7-8 (New International Version)
Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me.
By day the LORD directs his love, at night his song is with me— a prayer to the God of my life.

Suddenly the words jumped out at me in my daily reading this morning. “Deep calls unto deep.” I scrambled for my web browser, desperate to read more about this. Psalm 42; the NIV translation is quoted above.

These words were written about a very challenging situation. The pressures of life were pounding the writer relentlessly, to the point of overwhelming him.  All that he had to rely on was an assurance that God had something much better for him. Even in the most horrible of situations, those who know God have a source of comfort and hope that will pull them through.

Deep calls unto deep. Despite the outward pain, our Heavenly Father can provide a deep resource of love that is more than sufficient to overcome. And, following Pentecost Sunday, I know that resource is dwelling deep with me. It's right at hand.

And that's awesome.

No comments: