13 June 2011

Bravery and Foolishness

I've been pondering a lot today about bravery. It seems to me that one man's bravery is another man's foolishness.

One definition I read said that bravery was acting in spite of fear. Foolishness is acting in the same situation without fear.

Here's some more quotations:

If we take the generally accepted definition of bravery as a quality which knows no fear, I have never seen a brave man. All men are frightened. The more intelligent they are, the more they are frightened. - George S. Patton

Courage is not the absence of fear but the judgment that something else is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all. For now you are travelling the road between who you think you are and who you can be. - Meg Cabot

Courage is fear that has said its prayers. - Dorothy Bernard

1 comment:

Graeme said...

Hmmm! I'm reading this at the moment and have been thinking a little bit about it ready for Sunday!