24 April 2011

Dealing With Things

I've spent the last three days off-line: no blogs, no Internet, no Facebook, no e-mails. I didn't realise quite how difficult it would be living without my contact with the on-line community! However, the family certainly appreciated the extra time that I spent with them. I've started packing for the ROOTS conference next week; played a whole bunch of games with the kids; made great progress in decluttering the house. And I've certainly had something brought to my attention this weekend that I need to continue to pray about.

During an excellent prayer spot in Good Friday's meeting we were asked to write down an issue on a piece of paper and to place it at the foot of the cross. There's one particular topic that came to mind, so I wrote it down. It relates to issues I have emotionally, times when I have trouble controlling how I feel, how I react to people or to situations. It's a recurring issue I'm afraid. I scribbled it down and left it with God. And I thought no more about it. Until today.

Easter Sunday morning - the family and I went down to the meeting as usual. The meetings went well, in fact most things went well, but there were some times where I felt inadequate, completely out of my depth. I couldn't seem to say the right things, do the right things. The same old issues.

And then, just after the meeting, I caught a glance at the foot of the cross. There were the notes, still folded, with these issues we'd written down from Friday. And each one of them had a six-inch nail neatly piercing them. Including mine.

The symbolism wasn't lost on me; in fact I've been pondering that all afternoon. I realise that God doesn't forget about these issues; He deals with things.

Awesome.

1 comment:

Graeme said...

And of course once he's dealt with them we leave them with him and walk away. The danger is always in picking up the 'dealt with things' and carrying them with us as the 'same old things'. Easier said than done of course, but leaving them at the foot of the cross and living in the power of the resurrection is a good place to start!