26 November 2009

Fight the good fight!

Fight the good fight with all thy might,
Christ is thy strength and Christ thy right;
lay hold on life, and it shall be
thy joy and crown eternally.
John Samuel Bewley Monsell (1811-1875)

Having just been reminded that it's been a while since I have blogged, I thought I'd kick off again with a few thoughts about Soldiership that have been at the back of my mind for a while. It's always interesting to see how often military symbolism crops up in discussions about the Christian life and walk. I remember singing 'Fight The Good Fight' at my earliest days at school, never dreaming I would be signed up to serve in the ranks of The Salvation Army two decades later...

It's now 21 years since I signed my Soldier's Covenant (Articles Of War) ... a long time! However, there's quite a few folk I could name from my years of service who aren't to be found in our ranks any more, preferring to attend other Christian churches... So why is it that I'm still here - why do I feel that the Army is the place for me?

There's more to follow on Soldiership - and what it represents in the 21st Century ...

2 Timothy 2:3 (New International Version)
Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.

No comments: