26 August 2009

Learning from the Detectives

Are you good at jumping to conclusions? Well, pretty much all of the great detectives we have encountered in this month's A-Z have one thing in common - making observations and then jumping to conclusions. The problem comes when the conclusion we arrive at is perhaps the wrong one...

If we are wrong in our analysis of the situation, we'll probably hurt somebody's feelings, judging them without knowing all the facts. I know from experience what happens when I've said something out of turn, or without thinking it through. I also remember the following:

James 1:19-20 (NIV)
19 My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
20 for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

As usual during August, I've been doing some self-analysis during the time I usually commit to blogging. And I've discovered that I often need to ask just more questions before reaching my final conclusion. As Columbo might have said, "Just one more thing..."


I also must accept that I may not like the conclusion. It may take me way out of my comfort zone. In the words of Sherlock Holmes: "When I eliminate the impossible, whatever is left, however improbable, must be the truth."

No comments: