6 July 2019

True Friendship

How many real friends do you have? According to a 2014 survey, the average Facebook user has 338 'friends'. And yet, how many of these are true 'friends'? Not that many, I am sure... Do many of your 'friends' truly know you - what makes you 'tick'...

I was pondering this at an Army event today. It followed an incident when I was seemingly 'blanked' by someone who I thought was a friend.  Yes, I know, perhaps they didn't know I would be there. Yes, I know, the venue was very large, and yes, I know, it's always extremely distracting when there are literally dozens of people in the same venue. I went through all of these scenarios in my head. Still, just for an little while, I must admit to feeling a little sorry for myself after the incident.

That didn't last long, I'm pleased to say. I was reminded quite powerfully that I have at least one friend who knows me inside and out and loves me to bits... Do you know Him?

Proverbs 18:24 (NIV)
A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

Hebrews 13:5 (NIV)
...be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

No comments: