16 August 2015

P is for George Pal: Martian War Machines

The Martian War Machines are shaped like copper-coloured Manta rays, with a bulbous, elongated green window at the front, through which the Martians observe their surroundings. The ships glide along on three electromagnetic legs - visible only where the legs touch the ground. The ships are armed with a heat-ray, on a goose-neck above the ship.

The War of the Worlds is a 1953 American Technicolor film from Paramount Pictures, produced by George Pal. It was a fairly loose adaptation of the H.G. Wells novel of the same name. These particular ships were designed by Albert Nozaki for the movie.

No comments: