29 October 2013

Not Funny

"What's wrong with you? Can't you see that we are just having a laugh with you?"
OK, I think I've got it now. If I don't quite see the joke, now it's my problem. It is my fault. I've had a "sense of humour" failure.
Is that right? Is that normal?
Because, apparently, I'm not on my own. Some of us can't see the joke about:
  • Ridiculing ethnic minorities by using derogatory terms for them, 'tarring' them all with the same brush.
  • Pigeonholing people as 'tramps' or 'scroungers' or some such comment - without getting to know them, trying to understand even a little about their circumstances.
  • Manipulating the truth, 'spinning' a story, just so you can put yourself in a better light.
  • Deriding someone's activities at the weekend, just because they've made a different choice as to how to spend their free time.
I don't find it funny. Not any more. Perhaps that's why I need to speak out.
Sense of humour failure?
Perhaps I've haven't even had a sense of humour to start with. Not in this context.
Yeah, that's probably it.
:)

No comments: