31 October 2010

Contemporaneous Circumstances

(definition of Contemporaneous: existing, occurring, or originating during the same time)
God is so good. Over the last fortnight (which has included a rather busy week's holiday from work) I have experienced so many blessings that blogging about these has been difficult, they've all seemed to have come as a rush, one after another. Some have occurred all at the same time! It's tough to recall all that has happened, it's been such a rush! Highlights include:
  • five separate opportunities to be 'salt and light' on the streets of  my home town after the hours of darkness, thanks to The Salvation Army, to Street Pastors and the local Council. Although sometimes this has meant 'burning the midnight oil', I didn't miss the sleep, this was more than made up for by some very unique experiences.
  • two occasions where I was privileged to assist my wife with her work with the local Cub Scout pack. Awesome - and often very noisy!
  • some wonderful experiences at the Corps - one young person kneeling in commitment and coming to faith during our Corps Anniversary; other young people really responding to a prayer invitation the week after; even an awesome send-off to one of our more mature soldiers at her funeral service. She completed over sixty years of valiant service; the Hall was packed!
  • several occasions where God has really got to grips with some of our family's more personal requests for prayer. Some of the answers have been right in front of us all of the time!
  • I've even found that 'little area of calm' that I've been looking for (see my earlier blog entry). And I found it within me, so the good thing about it is that it's portable!
As I start to prepare for still further opportunities to serve that will be headed my way at this year's Territorial Congress (next weekend), I'm intrigued to know what else God has in store. Because I'm so up for it at the moment!

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

(Thomas O. Chisholm - William M. Runyan)

No comments: