12 January 2010

How Bizarre!

Ooh baby,
(ooh baby)
It's making me crazy,
(it's making me crazy)
Every time I look around
(Look around)
Every time I look around
(Every time I look around)
Every time I look around
It's in my face

(from 'How Bizarre' by OMC, written by Alan Jansson and Pauly Fuemana)

I spend a great deal of my time at work dealing with bizarre issues - you know, those occasions where something suddenly goes wrong for unexplained reasons. You reboot the PC and it works fine, with no explanation as to what happened earlier. No-one seems to know why the computer did what it did; it just 'went wrong'.

So, when the boss asks you to explain and you try to get to the bottom of the issue, to diagnose the problem, no-one can give you any answers. There's no good solid reason - even the 'experts' often say are stumped, saying that the problem isn't reproducible! It often ends up as a totally unexplainable phenomenon. Something that really is beyond comprehension... How bizarre! How bizarre, how bizarre...

In this 21st Century world, we are taught to seek answers. There is an answer to all things, they say. After all, isn't that what our scientists do, to seek to comprehend our world? Well, there's a gap between what we know and what we don't - usually, that's where Christians live in faith. However, that doesn't always make things easier. One quotation I read recently says "Faith makes things possible, not easy."

As I continue to explore my personal faith, I find myself straying ever further from the shallow end of my experience, encouraged to wade a bit deeper... As I do so, some of the more crazy things that occur in my life begin to slowly make more sense. Every aspect of my life starts to become increasingly spiritually relevant. Things take on a whole new meaning - and thus I am beginning to get a few answers to some long-term issues in my life. I still can't comprehend it all - however I am getting there. How bizarre!

Passing understanding is his boundless love,
More than I can ever comprehend,
Jesus, in his mercy, left his throne above,
All to be my Saviour and my friend.

Higher than the stars that reach eternity,
Broader than the boundaries of endless space,
Is the boundless love of God that pardoned me;
O the wonder of his grace!
SASB 52, 3rd verse and chorus (Howard Davies)

No comments: